DAMASCUS, Syria - Tensions in Syria have reached breaking point again. Syrian government attacks in Ilib province, Israeli attacks on Iranian targets in and around Damascus, and meantime while it is the governments doing the fighting, it is the people who are doing the dying.
The UN Humanitarian Affairs chief warned on Monday the crisis in north-west Syria has reached a "horrifying new level."
Since the start of December, some 900,000 people have been uprooted by violence, the vast majority of whom are women and children.
"They are traumatized and forced to sleep outside in freezing temperatures because camps are full," Mark Lowcock said.
"Mothers are burning plastic to keep children warm" and "babies and small children are dying because of the cold", he said. Lowcock, who is the UN Humanitarian Affairs chief, is also the UN Emegerncy Relief Coordinator.
He described the deadly vortex of proxy wars as a possible prelude to "the biggest humanitarian horror story of the 21st Century" unless "Security Council members, and those with influence, overcome individual interests and put a collective stake in humanity first."
Since March 2011, Syria has been in the throes of a conflict that has forced more than half of the population to leave their homes, UN News reported.
The Idlib region along with parts of neighbouring Aleppo province and the Latakia governate is the last stronghold of the rebel and jihadist groups that have been trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
The region is home to some three million people, half of them already displaced from other parts of the country.
The offensive that began late last year has caused the biggest single displacement of people since the conflict erupted following the repression of demonstrations demanding regime change.
"The violence in north-west Syria is indiscriminate", Mr. Lowcock said, painting a dire picture of aid workers' equipment and facilities being damaged as the humanitarian workers themselves are being displaced and killed.
Apart from health facilities, schools, residential areas, mosques and markets being hit, he said, schools have been suspended and many health facilities closed.
Moreover, there is a serious risk of disease outbreaks as basic infrastructure falls apart.
"We are now receiving reports that settlements for displaced people are being hit, resulting in deaths, injuries and further displacement", the Humanitarian Affairs chief explained.
Although a huge relief operation, across the border from Turkey, is underway, he lamented that "it is overwhelmed".
"The only option is a ceasefire", he said.
The Swedish foreign minister meantime has urged the European Union to pressure the Bashar al-Assad regime over its attacks in Idlib province.
With around a million Syrians fleeing due to the attacks, pressure on the Assad regime should be increased and a ceasefire and humanitarian access should demanded, Ann Linde said on Facebook.
Her remarks came after a meeting of foreign ministers of European Union countries in Brussels.
Sweden has donated 35 million euros ($38 million) for the humanitarian crisis in Idlib.
(Photo: Syria Civil Defence).